DSS Cases

There are few things more heartbreaking than having your child taken from you, especially if you feel you’ve been wrongly accused of child abuse or neglect. The family law attorneys at Bannister, Wyatt & Stalvey, LLC handle Department of Social Services (DSS) cases with sensitivity and understanding, and have successfully reunited families across Greenville, South Carolina and the Upstate. If your child has been removed from your custody, the best thing to do is contact a family law attorney experienced with DSS cases as soon as possible to represent you.

What you need to know about DSS cases:

Usually within 72 hours of the child’s removal, there will be a hearing on that child’s behalf in family court. DSS will have representation, as well as the guardian ad litem assigned to your case; you need proper representation as well. Only an experienced family law attorney will be able to skillfully prepare a defense that will stand up in court.

Should the court decide to remove the child from your care for a set period of time, a family law attorney can help you assess the situation from that point forward. Living arrangements for your child can be made on your terms and a plan to regain child custody or appeal the courts decision can be discussed.

What’s next?

One of the greatest assets in a DSS case is speed. The faster you reach out to an experienced family law attorney, the better. The family law attorneys at Bannister, Wyatt & Stalvey LLC will put their expertise to work to help you in this difficult child custody situation. Call us today at 864.298.0084 or contact us online.


A minimum consultation fee of $300 is required on all family court matters. Please take a minute to read our Frequently Asked Questions.

Q: Am I required to pay child support if I don’t have any contact or visitation with my child or children?
A: Yes, all parents are required to pay child support regardless of how often you contact or visit your child or children. The only instance where this may not be necessary is if your parental rights have been terminated.

Q: Can the Department of Social Services (DSS) force me to submit to a drug test?

A: No, DSS does not have the right to force you to submit to a drug test; however, by refusing the test, it does give them reason to suspect drug use in the home and they may seek removal of any children.

Q: I have court hearing requesting that I pay child support. What should I do?
A: Every situation and family court matter is unique. When possible, we recommend contacting an experienced family law attorney to help you navigate family court and ensure the best outcome for you and your children. Our family law attorneys are available to help. We require a minimum consultation fee of $300 on all family court matters. Schedule a comprehensive consultation by calling us today at 864-298-0084 or contact us online.

Q: We have an uncontested divorce and are in agreement on everything. What are the fees for an uncontested divorce?

A: While an uncontested divorce may feel like an open and shut matter, our attorneys give all family court matters a comprehensive review and consultation. We require a minimum consultation fee of $300 on all family court matters. Since divorce includes two parties, we can only represent one spouse in this instance.


Best Law Firms 2019 Badge
BWS-Super Lawyers Greenville SC Logo
National Trial Lawyers Greenville SC Logo
103858 - James W. Bannister
Greenville SC Legal Elite Logo
Greenville Chamber Logo
better business bureau lawyers
DUI Defense Lawyer Logo