What You Need To Know About A DUI and A DUI Defense Lawyer:
It is important to understand that every DUI case is unique and we encourage clients to schedule an initial consultation with a DUI defense lawyer, to allow our law firm to provide tailored counsel best suited for your situation. It also helps to know that DUI offenses are a lot more common than you may think.
In South Carolina, there are two types of drunk driving charges – DUI and DUAC.
- DUI (Driving Under the Influence) charges a motorist with operating a vehicle under the influence of any substance. A DUI can be prosecuted on the testimony of a law enforcement officer alone.
- DUAC (Driving with an Unlawful Alcohol Content) charges a motorist with operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. In addition to testimony, evidence of a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) at or above the legal limit of .08% must be provided at trial.
Whether you are charged with DUI or DUAC, you may be facing a criminal charge that cannot be expunged from your permanent record.
If you are convicted of DUI or DUAC as a first-time offender, you could face:
- Jail time
- Fines of up to $1,000, plus court costs
- License suspension – including the inability to operate a company vehicle
- Mandatory alcohol or drug counseling
- Increased insurance rates and/or loss of coverage
- Loss of employment
If you are convicted of subsequent DUI charges within 10 years of your first DUI charge, you will face mandatory jail terms and increased fines.
A DUI conviction can have far-reaching consequences, so it is important to seek qualified legal representation as soon as possible.
An arrest or charge does not mean you are guilty. The prosecution needs to prove that you are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. An experienced criminal defense lawyer, or DUI attorney, can help you plan a thoughtful defense, which takes into account state law and legal nuances.
At Bannister, Wyatt & Stalvey, our DUI attorneys provide a free initial consultation to explain your rights and discuss the details of your case. Please contact us today at (864) 523-7738 or contact us online to schedule your initial consultation.
Learn more about DUI defense from DUI lawyers in Greenville SC