Being convicted of driving under the influence in South Carolina is bad enough. Still, if you are arrested for drunk driving with a previous DUI or in connection with a motor vehicle accident, you will be prosecuted and punished harshly.
If you or a loved one is facing South Carolina’s enhanced DUI charges, you need to get an experienced DUI defense attorney as soon as possible.
The skilled DUI attorneys at the Greenville, South Carolina law firm of Bannister, Wyatt & Stalvey, L.L.C. represent clients facing either severe charges or felonies because of the aggravated circumstances in their DUI arrest.
With our proactive approach, we can help you avoid some of the most serious charges or even challenging your arrest. If we are successful, we may be able to protect your freedom, your driving privileges, and your future.
What Are the Penalties for Repeat DUI and/or A Felony DUI in South Carolina?
If you are facing serious DUI charges or enhanced penalties, you could be facing the following:
- Second DUI: You could be facing fines, jail time, having your driver’s license suspended, and if you are convicted of a second DUI, your conviction could be more than double the possible penalties for the first offense.
- Third DUI: For a third DUI, the minimum jail time is anywhere from 60 days to 3 years in jail and a driver’s license suspension for two to four years.
- Fourth DUI: You could be facing one to five years in prison and have your driver’s license permanently revoked.
- High BAC: If your blood alcohol count is over .10 penalties increase, and if your blood alcohol level is over .16 or more, the penalties again increase.
- Child Endangerment: If you were driving under the influence and you had one or more children under the age of 16 in the car, this automatically triggers higher fines and/or jail time.
- Felony DUI: If you cause great bodily injury or death while driving under the influence, for example, if you are in a drunk driving accident, this is an extremely serious felony punishable by many years in prison and mind-blowing fines.
Do I Need A South Carolina DUI Defense Lawyer in South Carolina?
If you are arrested for a DUI and have prior DUI’s on your record, you can’t afford a conviction or a plea deal that sends you to prison. The DUI defense attorneys at the Greenville, South Carolina law firm of Bannister, Wyatt & Stalvey, L.L.C. will look at all the circumstances surrounding your arrest, such as if the stop was legal, or we may challenge the Breathalyzer results.
We may be able to intervene with the prosecutor to avoid any unwarranted charges. We will aggressively defend you at trial if your South Carolina prosecution goes forward.